Anton Du Beke once again joined forces with Shirley Ballas and Craig Revel Horwood on Strictly Come Dancing 2020. Having been a part of the show since the beginning, this month marks the first time he has been a judge.
The 54-year-old has now gone into detail about how it all happened, saying his wife Hannah Summers was in tears.
Long tipped to become one of the panel, the father-of-two said he was “so, so happy” when the offer finally arrived from BBC bosses.
Speaking candidly in a new interview, Anton said his ego was very low before the good news.
The dancer became the first to get booted out of this year’s competition, after being partnered up with Jacqui Smith, 58.
After hearing Motsi Mabuse had to return to Germany at the last-minute, the pro said the move still “came out of the blue”.
“I didn’t know what they were going to do,” he stated.
But the phone call came the Thursday before he was due on air on the Saturday night.
“I love the show,” he commented. “I love everything about it, so to finally get a chance to judge it was incredible.
He has admittedly had a string of what some might say are unlucky partnerships, with his best result coming last year with Emma Barton, 43.
Anton has also danced with the likes of Susannah Constantine, Ruth Langsford, Lesley Joseph and Ann Widdecombe.
Saying he still wanted to feel part of the show after his elimination, he told the Mail On Sunday: “So thank goodness they gave me the judging job.
“My children say, ‘Daddy either dances or talks on the television’, so they saw me talk last weekend and this one.”